THE PEOPLE'S PLATFORM
THE PEOPLE'S PLATFORM, BY THE PEOPLE'S MAYOR
Non-conforming. Disruptive. Innovative. It is time to 'Disrupt the Status Quo'.
The current linear political scale is dysfunctional, pitting the left against the right, and creating discord amongst the people. We need to abolish the polarization that politics has created. The greatest responsibility of government is to not compromise the principles that connect people, process, health, education, and our environment above party or profit-minded special interests. I am neither left, nor right, or central for that matter. I simply refuse to be placed on a broken scale. I see a new future for politics, with a circular system that harmoniously considers all matters of importance and relevance.
Our collective power enables a shift from powerless too powerful. Together, we will seek to do all of the following for Calgary and beyond all status quo limitations elsewhere.
- Stop the bleeding...we must stop the excessive, irresponsible spending and break down the budget, rebuilding it with a new set of priorities.
- Lower business taxes, and incorporate initiatives/support and grants to encourage new business in Calgary.
- Lower property taxes. Our taxes continue to increase while services are cut and our overall quality of life has declined.
- Embrace, support, and encourage sustainable innovation, technology, and new investments into the city.
- Design a cohesive, sustainable, and resilient economic system.
- Create a modern smart city, where it benefits core needs and collective security.
- Enable the full power of our diversity within our communities and government.
- Launch an initiative to create affordable housing within our city.
- Launch an initiative 'Citizens without Residence" to address our homelessness within the city. This has been ignored for decades and must be addressed.
- Launch an initiative 'Grow Food, Save Alberta' to ensure food security, support our local farmers, as well as bring in capital to unburden the tax payers.
- Launch an initiative 'Waste to Energy' making Calgary garbage free within the next few years, while converting it into energy. Removing the financial burden from the tax payers.
- Launch 'Green Scape' initiatives to green our downtown core including: green rooftops; community gardens; parks; wildlife habitats; and greening 17th Avenue.
- Clean up our city, get tough on crime, and support our police.
- Be a force for good OR bad
- Stop suffering OR create it
- Heal OR harm
- Protect OR expose
- Create thriving economies OR destroy them
- Defend its people, planet, and animals ensuring a brighter future for all OR alternatively it can most certainly create a bleak future for all.
The power to do good and use this force for the betterment of all life on earth, is in the hands of the leaders and the people who support them. My purpose is to revitalize trust, integrity, inclusion, and stewardship with the clear goal of shaping a more compelling future for all.
Like many of you, I have waited for a truly inspirational leader to rise above the trappings of our status quo, to champion doing the right thing, so trust in government rises again. I soon realized, as I hope more of you do too, that as we see the fuller impact of positive change, we become that change in evidence. We are at a critical point in time, as our very sources of life are now threatened. Many of us struggle to make ends meet and trust in leadership is not to be taken for granted.
The City of Calgary and its people are suffering, as is our economy. While businesses are the lifeblood of our city, communities, and lifestyle, all are people-powered to earn greater relevance and realize greater shared equity. Businesses provide much needed jobs that put roofs over our head and food on our tables. We must unite together to protect what businesses are left, still fighting and struggling to stay alive after a tough and challenging 2020. We need to embrace change, and start thinking outside of the box to realize a future that enables all to fly higher.
I embrace and will execute on The United Nations 17 Goals:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health and Well-being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable Clean Energy
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life On Land
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Partnerships for the Goals